Now that the weather is getting colder this is one of my all time favorite soup recipes. I found it in the fitness magazine years ago and I always refer to it on a cold and rainy day!
- 4 pieces of chicken breast cut into chunks
- 3 14 oz cans vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can tomato puree
- 1 15 oz can small white beans or great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach or kale leaves
- Finely shredded parmesan cheese
In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker, combine vegetable broth, tomato puree, beans, rice, onion, salt, pepper, garlic and chicken. Cover, cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 7 hours or on high heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. Just before serving stir in spinach and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
It even tastes delicious the next day! You can freeze this soup and take it to work on those cold rainy days!
Labels: bean and spinach soup, Recipes