Cherry Almond Oatmeal

I found this recipe on the clean eating diet online website and it is amazing!  I know that some of you are always rushing around in the morning getting the kids off to school and yourself out the door!  So I thought this sounded like a delicious way to eat clean and not be late for work!  Here's what she has to say: "I love steel cut oats, but I am always too rushed in the morning to take the time to cook them. Now I just turn on my slow cooker before bed and I wake up every morning to a steaming hot bowl of oatmeal. It's such a great way to start my day. The dried cherries and toasted slivered almonds make it extra special!"
Ingredients
• 2/3 cup / 160 ml steel-cut oats
• ¼ cup / 60 ml ground flaxseed
• ½ tsp / 2.5 ml cinnamon
• ¼ tsp / 1.25 ml sea salt
• 1 tsp / 5 ml vanilla
• ¼ cup / 60 ml almond butter
• 4 cups / 950 ml water
• ½ cup / 120 ml unsweetened dried cherries
• ½ cup / 120 ml toasted slivered almonds*

Preparation
  1. Add all ingredients to slow cooker, except dried cherries and slivered almonds. Stir to combine. Cook on low overnight, or approximately 8 hours.
  2. Divide into four bowls, and divide dried cherries and slivered almonds evenly among bowls. Serve.
*To toast slivered almonds, microwave in glass dish for 30-60 seconds and then stir. Repeat until almonds are starting to brown. Or heat a frying pan, preferably cast iron, to medium high, place almonds inside and heat, occasionally shaking, until you smell the toasted nut scent – about 5 to 7 minutes.

Labels: