- 1 whole-grain hot dog bun
- 4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup white onion, cut into slivers
- 1 green peper cut into strips
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 slice reduced-fat provolone cheese (such as Sargento Reduced Fat Deli Style Sliced Provolone Cheese)
- 1 tbsp natural low-sodium ketchup
- 1 tbsp hot pepper rings or more, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400°F.
- Cut piece of aluminum foil a few inches larger than bun. Wrap bun completely in foil.
- To shave chicken, hold sharp knife at a 45-degree angle and cut slivers from breast, tearing it until shaved (it should be cut much thinner than if it was just sliced).
- Warm bun in oven for 10 minutes.
- Set small nonstick pan over medium-high heat. When hot, lightly mist with cooking spray and add onion. Cook about 2 to 4 minutes or until tender and starting to brown. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm. Return pan to high heat. When hot, re-mist pan with cooking spray and add chicken. Season with salt and black pepper. Use 2 wooden spoons or spatulas to pull apart chicken shavings for even browning. Cook until lightly browned and no longer pink, about 2 minutes, and remove pan from heat. Add onions back to pan and stir to combine.
- Unwrap bun and open it, being careful not to burn yourself. Add cheese, followed by chicken and onions. Top with ketchup and hot pepper rings, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per cheese steak: Calories: 330, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Carbs: 33 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 9 g, Protein: 33 g, Sodium: 650 g, Cholesterol: 75 g
Labels: Clean Eating Chicken Recipe, Sandwich Recipes