Once a week I am committed to trying new clean eating recipes for my kids! So one thing that has totally been on my mind is Easy MAC!! I buy those little packets of mac n cheese that you throw in the microwave and are ready to serve in less than 5 minutes. They are loaded with trans fats and fake food! So I found a clean eating mac n'cheese recipe that I gave a try today for my little munchkins!
|Clean Mac n Cheese|
So far it was a hit and I'm really excited to share it with you! Pretty easy recipe if I must say so myself!
- 2 1/4 cups whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup stone-ground whole-grain brown rice flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 oz light Swiss cheese, finely shredded
- 5 oz low-fat cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 tbsp whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
Nutrients per 1-cup serving: Calories: 250, Total Fat: 4 g, Sat. Fat: 2
g, Carbs: 38 g, Fiber: 4, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 18, Sodium: 310 mg,
Cholesterol: 10 mg
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly mist an 8-inch diameter (1 1/2 qt) casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spoon flour and salt into medium bowl and slowly whisk in enough
milk to form a paste. Then add remaining milk, whisking as you do,
making sure that no lumps remain.
- Place a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat and add
flour-milk mixture. When milk is warm, add Swiss cheese and stir quickly
and frequently with a wooden spoon until cheese is completely melted
and incorporated. Add cheddar cheese and continue stirring until cheese
is completely melted and mixture begins to thicken slightly. (Since
stovetops vary in temperature and sauce is delicate, mixture may
separate. If sauce separates or if cheese doesn’t fully combine, add the
warmed mixture to a blender or the bowl of a food processor fitted with
a chopping blade. Process until smooth and combined, covering blender
or food processor lid with a towel in case hot liquid splashes. Add
cheese sauce back to saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly until
warmed through.) Stir in cooked macaroni, then transfer mixture to
- In small bowl, stir together breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Sprinkle
crumb mixture evenly over top of macaroni. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or
until topping is lightly browned. Allow to stand 5 minutes. Serve.
Labels: clean mac n cheese, kid friendly clean eating recipes, pasta