|Clean Zucchini Lasagna|
It was a rainy and gross day in Western Pennsylvania and we needed something warm and yummy. Plus it's summertime and we have an abundance of fresh veggies from my dads garden. Zucchini coming out our ears so I needed a way to make them! When you think of eating zucchini most people think of fried zucchini with marinara sauce. I decided that I was going to come up with a way to eat zucchini that was healthy and full of flavor. Plus I want to experiment with great Italian dishes that are clean also. Everyone loves pasta but it leaves me feeling bloated and actually more hungry afterwards.
So this brings me to my zucchini lasagna recipe!! I mixed a few recipes that I had found together to come up with one that is gluten free, doesn't use ricotta cheese and that literally has very low sugar if you buy a sauce that doesn't have added sugar!! It just takes some label reading but you can do it!
The whole entire family loved this recipe and we had left overs which I wrote my name all over for lunch today!!
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 lb of lean ground turkey
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 or 4 small zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 24 oz of low fat or 1% cottage cheese (I use the costco cottage cheese)
- 1 jar of no sugar added spaghetti sauce
- Non fat or low fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- Combine onion, ground turkey, salt, pepper, garlic powder in a skillet and brown turkey until no longer pink.
- Layer Zucchini in the bottom of your pan, then spread a layer of cottage cheese, follow that with a layer of ground turkey mixture, spread a layer of sauce on top.
- Repeat this over again. Then layer one final row of zucchini on top and cover with sauce and a little sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake for 10 more minutes then remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
Yes it will be a little bit runny due to the water in the zucchini, sauce and the cottage cheese. I used a slotted spoon to scoop out the lasagna which allows the liquids to stay in the dish.
It is honestly amazing! I hope you enjoy it!!!
I know we will be having this again for sure!!
Labels: Clean Eating Recipes, Committed to Getting Fit, Dinner, Healthy Comfort Food, melanie mitro, Recipe, Zucchini Lasagna