Thanksgiving is a day to literally stuff yourself like the turkey on your table! It puts people into the infamous turkey coma! Then you unbutton your pants, lay on the couch and question why the heck you ate so much! Seriously you can't deny that you have totally been there! I have for sure!
The next day you wake up and feel sluggish and vow to never do that again. But holiday amnesia kicks in and Christmas rolls around and it happens all over again! It's the vicious cycle of yo-yo dieting, detoxing and binging! But this year you can have a little self control and also still enjoy the day! For me my balance is finding clean recipes that are full of flavor, satisfy what I enjoy and still leave feeling comfortable in my jeans!!
So this week is our holiday survival guide!!! Today is recipe day. How can you tweak the foods you love to save your waistline???
Corn Soufflé is no doubt one of my fav recipes. But it has a stick of butter and sour cream in there which leaves my entire stomach in knots and the calories are killer! So double whammy! I cleaned it up and it's pretty darn delicious.
1/4 c egg substitute
1/4 c melted butter
1 8oz no salt added can of corn, drained
1 8oz can of cream corn
1 8 oz package of corn bread mix
1 8oz carton of plain greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl; stir well. Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set.
Next up the turkey!!! Injecting your turkey with sodium and butter is one sure way to inject a little extra cushion to the middle! This is one of our fav turkey recipes! We actually use this with boneless skinless turkey breast quite often.
- 1 split bone-in, skin-on turkey breast (about 2 1/2 lb)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp minced fresh sage leaves
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place turkey breast, skin-side-up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice and zest, herbs, salt and pepper. Using your fingers, gently loosen skin from turkey breast meat without removing it completely. Rub herb-oil mixture under skin and all over turkey breast meat (including underneath breast as well).
- Roast, skin side-up, for 50 to 60 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reads 165°F when inserted into thickest part of breast (test in a few places to make sure).
- Cover turkey with foil and let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes. Remove and discard skin, then cut turkey breast from bone. Slice meat and serve.
More thanksgiving recipes here!!! Rolls, drinks and sweet potato casserole.
You can HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!!!
What's your favorite holiday dish that you would like a clean version of? If you post in the comments I will give you some suggestions and possibly a recipe!
Labels: Clean Eating Holidays, Committed to getting fit., Healthy Holidays, Healthy Thanksgiving Turkey, melanie mitro, Side Dishes, Thanksgiving recipes