Clean Eating Taco Casserole

Clean Eating Taco Casserole

I am a Mexican Food LOVER through and through!  Anyone with me on this?
I seriously can't get enough of it.  So while I was riding bikes with my sister in law and kids we were talking about dinner ideas.  She was giving me the scoop on this taco casserole that she makes that her husband actually requests that she make.  I decided that sounded amazing but I was going to put my own healthy spin on it! (I'm sure she is laughing at me now!!  LOL)
But this is what I do!  
So I have to say, it is really good!  I had a few suggestions to make it better which I already included in this recipe.  This is quick, easy, and something that my kids ate and we had leftovers which I ate the next day.

Ingredients:

1 lbs lean ground turkey, browned and drained.
1 small onion diced
1 small taco seasoning packet
8 oz jar of taco sauce
2 roma tomatos diced
iceberg lettuce chopped
Plain Greek Yogurt (we like the Kirkland brand)
Low fat Cheddar Cheese (omit if you are stripping down your own meal plan)
Whole Grain Tortilla Shells (Hard ones)

Directions:

Brown turkey and onion in a pan over medium high heat.
Drain off the liquid and add taco seasoning packet with 1/4 c water.
Stir until combined.  Then add taco sauce and stir.
Layer a baking dish with crunched up taco shells
Then put a layer of ground meat, thin layer of greek yogurt, tiny bit of cheddar cheese (emphasize TINY), then layer with shells, ground meat, greek yogurt and cheddar cheese on top.

Heat in 350 Degree oven for 15 minutes.
Top with lettuce, tomatoes, olives, avocado or any other topics you would like!
I served our dinner with a side of freshly steamed green beans, no butter!
Finished product

Enjoy!!!

Labels: , , , , , ,