Key Things to Get you Started on The Straight and Narrow

Real Life Tips to Get You GOING!

Anytime you start a new exercise routine it is key to make sure you are doing a few key things!  The number 1 most important thing is that you need to eat enough!  You need to make sure you are fueling your body with good food and enough good food to get you through the day.  Chances are if you are hungry, tired or lacking energy you are not eating enough food and/or the right kind of food!

You are going to be eating a lot more when you start eating clean but don't let that scare you.  For example 6 egg whites sounds like a lot but it is only 99 calories.  Not very much at all.  You are going to be eating more nutrient rich and dense foods which will fill you up quicker!    
Here are some great tips:
  1. Eat your first meal within an hour of waking.  If you are like me and workout first thing in the am you have 2 choices.  You can have something small when you wake up like a banana and a glass of water or you can go straight to the basement and drink your pre-workout formula and get your sweat on.  I prefer the second option!  Immediately following my workout I shower and head to the kitchen to make myself a clean breakfast.  Usually my oatmeal or egg whites.  If I do not work out first thing in the morning then I always eat within an hour of waking.  I drink my warm lemon water first before I even eat.  Lemon water is a wonderful way to detox and jump start your metabolism for the day.  I read about this tip in Tosca Reno's Eat Clean ReCharged book and have been doing it ever since.
  2. Plan ahead.  Designate a food prep day!  Well as you all know I do this religiously every Sunday.  I may not get it all done in one day but I do make the time to plan out my meals.  I pre-portion my snacks, make my menu and stick it on the fridge.  I have my food ready to go so that I am never left in a position where I have to make a bad food choice.  Planning ahead it KEY to success!!  I can't stress this enough!  Here are some great clean eating tips that helped me get started!
  3. Measure and weigh everything whenever possible.  Purchase measuring cups and a kitchen scale!  I have just recently adopted the weighing everything principle.  It is so important to know that you are eating the correct portion sizes.  This is the one thing that everyone will tell me that they slip up with at first.  It's so hard to know exactly what a proper portion size is.  So take some time to weigh your food, measure out 4-6 oz meat, 2 cupped handfuls of fruits and veggies and 1 cupped handful of starchy carbs so you know what it feels and looks like!  It will greatly improve your success with your diet.  Great video by Tosca Reno on portion sizes.
  4. Eat every 3 hours (usually 5 to 6 times a day) This is the secret to speeding up your metabolism!!!  People who eat small frequent meals throughout the day paired with a complex carb (fruits and veggies) and a protein are less likely to over eat and do not have spikes in blood sugar levels throughout the day.  When you make a point to eat every 3 hours you are constantly fueling your body with energy!  We NEED energy to do our workouts and function properly!  So set a timer on your phone or watch and EAT when it goes off.  Even if you are not hungry!  I promise you will lose weight this way.
  5. Drink lots of water!!!!  I always have my refillable water bottle beside me!  If not, then I grab a bottle of water.  You can add some lemon, orange, cucumber or berries to flavor your water.  But hydration is key to keeping your metabolism burning and your weight loss on the straight and narrow.
  6. Take a multivitamin and if you are lifting weights it may be a good idea to add in some calcium.  
  7. Take one tablespoon of Flaxseed or Fish Oil daily. Flaxseed and fish oil actually aid in weight loss and encourages healthy bowel movements. (Mix in oatmeal or mashed sweet potato after heating food. Do not heat flaxseed.)
  8. Consistency is key! If you have a day where you slip up … Don't give up! Start fresh at your next meal or the next day. You can do it!
  9. Note:  No starchy carbs after 7 pm or at least 3 hours before bed.  Limit fruit to twice daily, berries first thing in the morning and then a full citrus serving or banana after a workout with your protein shake. Carry a small apple in your gym bag at all times in case an energy slump hits!

As always if you need any help designing a fitness program to meet your needs or help with  your nutritional needs I would be glad to point you in the right direction!  I'm here to help at any time and it truly is my passion so don't be afraid to speak up and ask!


Labels: , ,